Ensuring security of your information is one of our top priorities. Add extra security with two-factor authentication: starting today you can enable it for your investor account. With two-factor authentication, you’ll need both your password and authentication code to log in.
What is two-factor authentication?
Two-factor authentication, or 2FA, lets you protect your account every time you log in. It is a method of identifying a user by requesting authentication data of two different types. So, you need to confirm your identity twice with the help of two “factors”, one of which is your personal data, while the other one is generated by the special system. Two layers of authentication allow more effective protection from unauthorized entry. This way of data protection is a best-market practice because it is a reliable barrier that seriously complicates unauthorized access to investors’ data.
How to enable Two-Step Authentication
If you want to add an extra security layer to your Grupeer’s investor account, you need to enable this function. We have prepared an instruction and a short video that will guide how to use this security feature.
- Log in into your Grupeer account and enter the Settings section of your Investor’s account
- Click the checkbox, confirming that you want to enable two-factor authentication.
- Follow the instructions and install the Google Authenticator, if you do not have one yet. The Google Authenticator app runs on Android, iPhone, iPod, iPad and BlackBerry devices.
- Open Google Authenticator App on your phone.
- On the main Authenticator screen, tap the plus sign at the top.
- Then, tap “Scan barcode” on the pop-up at the bottom of the screen.
- Your camera will activate and you will see a green box. Aim that green box at the QR code on your computer screen. The QR code will be read automatically.
- Please write down 16 – digit authorization secure code, if you lose your phone or are unable to receive a code via the authentication app, you can use this code to get back into your account.
- Make sure that your 6-digit secret code is kept in a secure place! If your phone gets lost, stolen or erased, you will need this code to install the app once again
- Do not share your secret code with anyone, remember that Grupeer will never ask you for this key. If someone asks you to send the key, even on behalf of our company, it might be a phishing scams.
- After adding the account to Google Authenticator, you will have to type in the generated code. If the code is about to expire, wait for it to change so you have enough time to type it.
- Enter it and click “Enable”.
When you enter the right 6-digit code, you will see the message “Two-factor authentication enabled successfully”. If there are any mistakes, you will see the message “Two-factor authentication key is not valid”, which means you will have to re-enter the code once again.
How to log in your account with enabled 2FA
The next time you sign in, you will have to provide the current code from your Google Authenticator app
- Log in your investor’s account
- You will be asked to enter your password
- You will be asked to enter a 6-digit number that you will receive in your Authenticator app.
How to disable 2FA
If you want to disable the two-factor authentication, just remove the check from the checkbox in the Setting section of your investor’s account.
When is it advisable to use two-factor authentication?
Several times a day we enter secured areas of different websites, do we always need to extra secure our data? Of course not! The rule is simple: if you keep important data on the website and the service allows you to enable two-factor authentication, do it as soon as possible!
So, let’s have a look at your account in Grupeer! Does it contain information that needs to be secured? Or course: your password, personal data, information about your investments!
Two-factor authentication is one of the best methods to protect the security of this information.
Using two-factor authentication was done with a text or voice message in the past, but now the Google Authenticator app is more convenient. That is why Grupeer chose to use Google Authenticator service. It displays a code that changes every thirty seconds. The code is generated on your device, so you can use the app even if your device is offline.
Enabling the two-factor authentication will do a lot to keep your investments safe, so we highly recommend you to enable this option as soon as possible.
You should not allow to disable the 2FA without verifying yourself (introducing 2FA code)
Now to disable 2FA you need to input 2FA 6-digit code.
On the 2FA form if you press Enter instead of clicking the button, it submits the form as a GET request and that’s not what you want even much less when it comes to security.
Now after you have entered 6-digit code to enable 2 Factor-Authentification and press the “Enter” button you automatically enable 2FA features.
Also please add “autofocus” to the 2FA form after we log in so that its easier to input the code directly without having to click on the input.
Thank you for the suggestion. We will take it into account and fix it with the next release.
I just set up multifactor login on Grupeer with Microsoft authenticator, not Googles, as that’s my preferred app, works great. So maybe add a note on your page about other options might work but aren’t supported by you etc.
We are not allowed now to add another 2FA security feature providers, but upon the request, we can consider doing that.
In order to use the two-factor authentication for your Grupeer account, the Google Authenticator app needs to be used or some other app that is compatible with Google Authenticator. Here is the list of some of the current alternative options:
Will you need to enter this 6-digits code each and every time that you log in? Or will it be required randomly?
Yes, after you have enabled 2FA on your Grupeer account you will be asked to enter a 6-digit number generated from Google Authenticator every time you log in.
What if you don’t have your smartphone next to you? Can you get the 6-digits code on your PC?
It is not allowed to upload Google authenticator on PC. Although, if it is needed and you are sure that nobody else has the access to your PC you can download App Authy, then add your Grupeer 2FA account to Authy and then install Authy on your PC.